The TerraSwarm Research Center
The TerraSwarm Research Center, launched on January 15, 2013,
is addressing the huge potential (and associated risks) of pervasive
integration of smart, networked sensors and actuators into our connected world.
The center is funded by the STARnet phase of the Focus Center Research Program (FCRP)
administered by the Semiconductor Research Corporation (SRC).
Funding comes from the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) and
the SRC industry partners, including GLOBALFOUNDRIES, IBM, Intel Corporation, Micron Technology, Raytheon, Texas Instruments, and United Technologies.
(See About the Center, News, Overview Paper, and Research Highlights.)
- May 8, 2017, 4pm (Eastern) / 1pm (Pacific): Anthony Rowe, "Indoor Localization: Where are we? Where are we going?"
- October 11 & 12, 2017:TerraSwarm Annual Meeting (Berkeley).
- October 13, 2017: Twelfth Biennial Ptolemy Miniconference (Berkeley).
- October 31, 2017: TerraSwarm Project ends.
- Thursdays, 12:30-2 (Pacific): Seminar Series, 490 Cory Hall, co-sponsored with the Ubiquitous SwarmLab.
- Tuesdays, usually 10:30am-11:30am (Pacific), but variable for the robots and xcomm calls: We hold theme-specific teleconferences on the first three Tuesdays of the month.
- Ongoing: News items about TerraSwarm Researchers from the media as reported in the TerraSwarm Blog.
- April 6, 2017: Ankush Desai, "DRONA: A Framework for Safe Distributed Mobile Robotics"
- February 23, 2017: Signpost Platform Tutorial
- February 23 & 24: 2017:Signpost Platform Workshop (U. Mich.)
- February 1, 2017: Year 5 Plan announced.
- December 13, 2016 Jan Rabaey, "The Human Intranet"
- October 26 & 27, 2016:TerraSwarm Annual Meeting (Berkeley).
- September 16, 2016: Jeffrey A. Bilmes, GMTK Tutorial: The Graphical Models Toolkit
- July 20, 2016: Enhanced Conference Room Project Workshop (Berkeley)
- May 12, 2016 Viswam Nathan, Particle Filters for Robust Estimation from Physiological Sensors in the Swarm
- April 4, 2016 Nitesh Mor, Global Data Plane: Concepts and Getting Started
- February 24, 2016 Edward A. Lee, Bringing Sanity to IoT's use of Callbacks
- February 11, 2016:BEARS 2016 (Berkeley).
- January 13, 2016: Urban Heartbeat Workshop (Berkeley)
- October 16, 2015: Eleventh Biennial Ptolemy Miniconference (Berkeley).
- October 14-15, 2015: TerraSwarm Annual Meeting (Berkeley).
- September 9-11, 2015: DARPA Wait, What? (St. Louis)
- May 27-29, 2015: Programming the Swarm Workshop (Berkeley).
- April 13, 2015: Second International Workshop on the Swarm at the Edge of the Cloud, Seattle.
- April 13, 2015: IEEE workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber-Physical Energy Systems (Seattle).
- February 12, 2015: TerraSwarm Lunch and Poster Session at the Berkeley EECS Annual Research Symposium, BEARS 2015 (Berkeley)
- January 16-17, 2015: Test Bed Workshop (Berkeley).
- October 29-30, 2014: TerraSwarm Annual Meeting (Berkeley)
- September 16-17, 2014: 2014 Security and Privacy Workshop, Rochester, NY.
- September 15, 2014: 2014 Machine Learning Hands-On Workshop, Rochester, NY.
- June 25, 2014: New 3-Minute Video about the CITRIS Invention Lab.
- May 29, 2014: SwarmOS Workshop, Berkeley.
- May 16, 2014: Localization Workshop, University of Michigan
- February 13, 2014: TerraSwarm Lunch and Poster Session at the Berkeley EECS Annual Research Symposium (BEARS)
- November 5-6, 2013: TerraSwarm Annual Meeting
- September 29, 2013: First International Workshop on the Swarm at the Edge of the Cloud, Montreal, Canada. The presentations are available.
- June 7, 2013: Network World article: "Futuristic UC Berkeley operating system uniquely controls discrete 'manycore' resources."
- May 20, 2013: TerraSwarm co-hosted the first IEEE Workshop on Modeling and Simulation of Cyber-Physical Energy Systems
- April 29, 2013: Graph Lab Tutorial
- April 24, 2013: Sensor Andrew tutorial
- March 27, April 2 & 4, 2013: Ptolemy Tutorials
- January 17, 2013: Press release announcing the TerraSwarm Research Center
- January 17, 2013: Press release announcing the STARnet program from SRC and DARPA
- January 29, 2013: TerraSwarm Kickoff (Berkeley).
- TerraSwarm is seeking Postdocs, to apply see the postdoc application.
- Annual and Quarterly reports
- "The Swarm at the Edge of the Cloud", Edward A. Lee, Jan Rabaey, David Blaauw, Prabal Dutta, Kevin Fu, Carlos Guestrin, Bjoern Hartmann, Roozbeh Jafari, Douglas L. Jones, John D. Kubiatowicz, Vijay Kumar, Rahul Mangharam, Brian T. Murray, George Pappas, Kris Pister, Anthony Rowe, Alberto Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Sanjit A. Seshia, Tajana Simunic Rosing, Ben Taskar, John Wawrzynek, David Wessel. IEEE Design and Test of Computers on Cloud Computing for Embedded Systems, 31(3):8-20, June 2014.
- "The TerraSwarm Research Center (TSRC) (A White Paper)," Edward A. Lee, John D. Kubiatowicz, Jan M. Rabaey, Alberto L. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Sanjit A. Seshia, John Wawrzynek, David Blaauw, Prabal Dutta, Kevin Fu, Carlos Guestrin, Roozbeh Jafari, Doug Jones, Vijay Kumar, Richard Murray, George Pappas, Anthony Rowe, Carl M. Sechen, Tajana Simunic Rosing, Ben Taskar and David Wessel, EECS Department, University of California, Berkeley, Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2012-207, November 2, 2012.
- Edward A. Lee. The TerraSwarm Research Center (TSRC), November 1, 2012; Presented at the SwarmLab Seminar, UC Berkeley. (Video).
- Quad Charts
- The center consists of a number of workgroups, see the Project page for details. Below are the primary workgroups:
News and Events
For further inquiries, contact Christopher Brooks .